Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Road trip.

I drove to Manhattan and back last night on a semi-whim to drop in on louderARTS for the first time, a loss of venue virginity that also conveniently allowed me to support a friend who was performing. Even though I am exhausted in the wake of it, I feel fantastic. I truly admire and respect so many of the poets who are regulars there, and a handful of those same poets came up to me after I performed "Running With the Downcity Furnace" on the open mic and gave me some kind words to fold into my pocket for a rainy day when I'm not feeling so hot about writing.

I'm kind of amazed at how insulated I am from the slam scene at large, especially considering how frequently I am at poetry readings -- at least twice a week, every week, and this week it is three. Who knows what the racket will be come January. Maybe I'll make it my Jan Term project to go to as many different venues as possible. The Cantab is a weekly pilgrimage, but I have no other regular nights, nor do I have time for them. But maybe in January. Maybe I'll skip out to Manchester again for the first time in nearly two years, and the same goes for Worcester. Maybe I'll slam at AS220 and try to qualify for their team. Maybe I'll make the rounds in New York not on a whim, with planning, visits for all my dear friends in the area culminating in raucous nights ciphering on street corners. I want desperately to go on tour, but the possibility of such a thing is out of reach at the moment because of this silly thesis business. I can't wait to grow roots in every major city from here to Bellingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment